Monday, July 5, 2010

Semifinals Predictions, I Guess?

I suppose I should write something up for the semifinals since I've accidentally set that standard for myself, so here goes. We have two fantastic matches and I wish I wasn't working during them so I could see them live. Instead, I'll have to stick with the plan I've had up to this point and try to make it through the day without hearing a damn thing about them. That's gotten tougher as the games have become more important, but hopefully this method will work yet again. Anyway, on to the matches.


Uruguay vs Holland

Uruguay was the winner of that instant classic with Ghana and looked impressive in that victory. Diego Forlan appeared to be the most dangerous player in this tournament not named David Villa and the Uruguayan defense seemed stout enough to keep anyone out, even the vaunted Dutch offense. The main problem is that now they'll be down Luis Suarez for his detestable goal saving handball, so who will step up? Forlan has been amazing, but the Dutch have an excellent, albeit dirty, holding midfielder in Nigel De Jong who may be up to the task. Can anyone else properly contribute and provide the scoring magic that Suarez has been able to provide? I say no. Perhaps Uruguay puts in a goal and makes this interesting, but Holland should dominate this match with their possession and Arjen Robben should create all kinds of problems on the right wing. The real story, though, could be the person that no one seems to be talking about, Wesley Sneijder of Holland who has four goals so far in the World Cup. How people aren't giving Sneijder his proper due is beyond me but he's been magnificent for Holland in this Cup and he may very well keep goal-scoring pace with Villa and challenge for the Golden Boot. Uruguay has been fantastic to watch and Forlan will undoubtedly receive a contract to match his outstanding performance thus far. But look for the Dutch to dictate pace and win this match.


Spain vs Germany

I think most people will have Germany winning this match and I can't say I blame them in the least. Germany has been spectacular throughout this tournament and putting up four goals on England and Argentina simply can't be mentioned enough. But Spain is a different animal. Argentina is a fierce attacking side, but they attack strongly while in possession, they don't work the ball around. Spain does. Spain holds possession for long periods of time and then presses where they have the advantage. People have unfortunately been watching them playing against dedicated defensive teams who have no goal but to sit everyone behind the ball and not allow a score (see: Switzerland, Portugal, Paraguay). Spain is great to watch when they can actually get out offensively and send wingers running forward and get Xavi and Andres Iniesta combining through the middle without ten bodies packed in the box. That'll happen to Spain, of course. People will crowd the area and force them to make perfect passes to score. But so far, they have. And if they can keep Germany from possessing too much and getting forward, Spain can definitely win this match. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I think they pull it off and send a talented, but young, German side home.

Sorry for the lack of length in this post, but I'm just too excited about these matches to fully break it down and go into all the specifics. I can't wait for tomorrow, but I'm nervous about hearing things first before I get a chance to see the games. Let's just hope that does happen. Enjoy the games everyone and let me know what you think of them... after I watch them on DVR, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment